Thursday, May 20, 2010

Banana Splits!!

We have been trying to find something that will help our children see how easy it is for them to help around the house and also how much they contribute to the attitude in the house. So we had this stroke of inspiration come to us...... How about earning BANANA SPLITS! So for about 5 days they earned points for some amazing banana splits. I think we may have gone a little bit over board on the toppings, but it was good enough. So the kids could all earn up to 15 points and they earned points for getting their chores done without complaining and they could only be reminded once (cause let's face it, no one wants to remember they have chores to do), bedrooms clean, getting caught doing something nice for someone else. So like I said they earned 15 points and they earned a bowl, spoon, banana, two scoops of ice cream and then toppings from there. I am pretty sure that 10 toppings is WAAAAAAYYYYYY too many for anyone to put on their ice cream (NOTE TO SELF: Don't ever do it this way again). They also could get points taken away if necessary for things like fighting, hurting, or cheating (Blake & I were the only ones allowed to put points up and if anyone tried to sneak a point up they would get all their points taken away). This worked like a charm! The kids were so busy trying to find out ways they could help out that they did not have time to fight. Blake and I went out twice that weekend and both times the house was BEAUTIFULLY CLEAN, everyone was in PJ's, and they were all happily getting along. Not to mention even Saige (who normally takes a back back back seat to helping) could not be stopped in her helping. It was absolutely incredible!!!














Oh, and just for anyone wondering, Blake had to head off to work so he took his with him so there are no pictures of him. Only Saige, Blake and I finished our splits (the other put theirs in the freezer). As a recommendation...... If you have not had much sugar for 6-8 months I do not recommend that you break that by having a very large banana split. Just in case you thought that might be a good idea.

2 comments:

Jared said...

for a banana split like that, even I would do my chores.

of course, I could just have a banana split without doing any chores, I think I'll do that instead.

Cami said...

What a good idea! I LOVE banana splits, minus the banana! My boys would love this